Watch In the Family free online
P.O.V. is streaming the film as a natural companion to The Nipple Artist, a new short documentary hosted at the The New York Times that looks at how breast cancer survivors recapture their sense of self after what writer Caitlin Kiernan calls “a marathon” of surgeries, chemotherapy and other treatments.
Directed by Joanna Rudnick, In The Family covers choices Joanna faced after she found out she tested positive for the BRCA1 mutation, which significantly increases the likelihood of her developing breast cancer or ovarian cancer. Joanna herself underwent a double mastectomy in 2013, just at the same time as a landmark Supreme Court verdict was made against the legality of BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene patents held by Myriad Genetics, a corporation notably featured in In the Family.
Joanna continues to welcome use of the film to raise awareness of gene patenting and the importance of affordable early testing for breast and ovarian cancer. She will be speaking at the 2014 FORCE (Facing our Risk of Cancer Empowered) Conference in Philadelphia on June 14. Read her P.O.V. blog entry "Life with the Breast cancer gene."
Her new film is On Beauty, and it will be on release later this year.
Join the Discussion
Visit our forums to share your opinions about the film or to discuss how BRCA and genetic testing have touched your life of the life of someone you know.
Active forum topics
- FORCE NYC hosts "Viewing BRCA", a special In the Family screening
- Joanna Rudnick on "BRCA-Mommy-Hood"
- Martha Haley's "How"
- Joanna Rudnick to speak at LA FORCE screening
- In the Family in Seattle and Canada
- The personal impact of In The Family
- Joanna Rudnick heralds "landmark victory" in ACLU/Myriad gene patenting case
- Judge rules in favor of ACLU in Myriad Genetic case
- In the Family screening reaches bilingual audience
- Better Boys Foundation to screen In the Family in Chicago